Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Beck Trek



On my Spring Break Codi and I decided to take a well needed trip to go see Codi's family, and instead of flying we wanted to take a road trip to Utah and make a stop at the Grand Canyon. It was the longest drive of my life. Having to stop every three hours to feed Xander in the car, as well as changing him in the car was an adventure. He was such a good baby though. His cousins had a wonderful time meeting him and no one could keep their hands to themselves. Xander had a good time as well. He was making so many new noises and facial expressions, especially with his Grandpa. Everytime Grandpa K would open his mouth he would start making fun noises. It was fun seeing Codi's family.
Also, on a random note, we have recently noticed the hidden blessing in having a car seat. We have heard to never take Xander out of the car seat because bad things can happen, but on the road home we had to take him out so he could stretch and what do you know, bad things happened. With a baby in the car seat no one will dare to touch him. We were at Pizza Hut on the way home and while Xander was out of his car seat some crazy ladies came over and started playing with Xander. While I was up walking with Xander one lady asked if she could hold him. I lied and said, "I am sorry, he is sick." She said, "I am a grandma, I can't get sick anymore. Let me hold him." I nicely said no and walked away. Then while it was Codi's turn to hold him. Another lady said, "Can I show you the best way to burp a baby?" And Codi being too nice let this crazy, country lady hold my baby. It was a scary moment for all. So the thing to learn from this story is...do not take your baby out of the car seat until you are ready for creepy strangers to touch and hold your baby, or else you should come up with reasons why they should not touch your baby.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest picture of Xander in front of the Grand Canyon. Love it. And Codi, if it makes you feel any better, I probably would have let the crazy country lady hold my baby too. Too nice to say no thanks. Here's a good lie.... "I'm sorry, he has a neurological disease that makes it difficult to hold him."

Brianne said...

You guys are brave! We actually took a road trip to Utah too when Ben was about 3 weeks old - I still don't know what we were thinking! I'm sure Codi's family was thrilled though. We surprised John's mom by leaving Ben on her front step and ringing the doorbell while we hid in the bushes - it was pretty hilarious to see her reaction. She didn't recognize him at first and seriously thought somebody left a baby for her to take care of! Anyway, sounds like a fun trip aside from the crazies that wanted to hold Xander. So cool that you got to see the Grand Canyon too!

Sarah said...

That's a funny story Brianne.

Zach, I don't know how you guys did that road trip either! We aren't going to Utah until next summer because we aren't looking forward to the drive so much. And that's weird that so many random strangers ask to hold your baby.

Caitlin said...

Yeah, you gotta watch out for those country folk. They love them some babies. Especially really cute ones like Xander! I can't believe you have a baby, Zach. That's crazy! Even crazier will be the day when I have a baby . . . or Melissa actually gets married! :) Dave and I live in Orange County, CA, in a city called Tustin. It's pretty nice, but I miss Texas. Are you guys in Texas?

Caitlin said...

That's too bad you're not actually in Texas -- but at least your proximity to Texas is much closer than mine in California! Dave and I met at BYU and he's from Orange County. He grew up down here and his family still lives down here. He's going to law school here. So it looks like we're here for at least three years. He always wanted to live in California for the rest of his life, but I think I'm being pretty persuasive in getting him to move to the Lone Star State. We'll see :)

Jancisco said...

Hy davai--novi post uzhe.

Emily said...

That bottom picture is GREAT!