So.... as I stated in a previous post, we are experiencing a whole new life with Xander. He's growing up and doing all kinds of new things. Some things are very exciting, and some are tiring. For example... he is now in the big boy bed, and doing quite well, which is good because that means that when his little brother comes we won't have any fighting over the crib. The bad part about this new development? He can now get out of bed whenever he pleases and his sleeping times have shortened. He now wakes up an hour earlier, and takes 1/2 of the nap that he used to. The latest development that has been quite the trial.... opening doors. He can open each and every door in our apartment, even the front door with the dead bolt (we're going to need to get a chain for the top of the door). So I am constantly on door patrol and sometimes end up sprinting to stop him in whatever act he's about to commit. This especially applies to the bathroom doors. See... he loves the toilet. The good thing about his love for the toilet is that he has now gone #2 in the potty 3 times! He isn't consistent, but at least he's showing some interest. The bad thing...he thinks he needs to play in the water, and of course... the toilet ALWAYS needs a good flushing especially if he's found a dryer sheet that needs to be disposed of. Finally, after a few close calls, and moments where my actions lead me to believe that I was going to have baby #2 that very moment, Zach and I decided it was time to out smart the little guy and buy some door covers. You know what I'm talking about... those annoying little plastic bubble things that make it so kids (and some adults) can't get the door opened. After little Mr. Xander went to bed the other night I made a trip to the local Walmart, bought the goods, installed them, and went to bed with the satisfaction that my toddler chasing would be cut in half the next day. We woke up the next morning and decided to inform Xander of the newest additions. This is what took place:
As you can see it took him all of two seconds to figure the covers out. HE DIDN'T EVEN PAUSE!! At first I just thought that the door wasn't fully closed but after 10 successful openings I realized that wasn't the case. I guess that's what you get for trying to outwit your toddler. To add insult to injury... not only can he still open all the doors but I believe that the covers have made it even easier for him to open the doors. He goes into the places we were trying to keep him out of twice as much as he used to, increasing my toddler chasing three fold. It's almost as if he's trying to punish me for trying to ruin all of his fun. Basically, I must admit defeat, and continue my exhausting door patrol. Parenting. What more can I say?
8 comments:
He's too brilliant. The good news about toddler chasing when pregnant is that it is TONS easier to get back to pre-pregnancy form quickly. Weights and cardio. All day long.
This is the solution (I know this first hand): you remove the doorknob in his room and replace it with one with a lock, and you place that lock on the outside of his room. Some mothers may look down on this, but I saw it as a necessary precation to avoid my child hurting himself or the new baby across the hall. At night, or naps, I just kiss them goodnight and lock 'em in! Actually I only had to do that for a week or so and now they just don't try anymore (cuz if they do I start locking it again...they're quick learners! Oh and the shorter nap and shorter nights just might go back to normal after a few weeks. It did for my boys. The novelty of it all has to wear off.
That is one of the best stories I have ever heard. What a smartie!
Doesn't that just figure? The kids always figure out the childproof stuff and the adults can't.
How funny! Miley saw the video and was laughing! I hope she doesn't catch on for a while! :)
Hey Zach and Codi!
Yes, we are indeed having a little one in March! We don't know what we're having and don't plan on finding out...it is so fun not knowing! I hope you are doing well and I hope Codi survives these last few weeks. Good luck with everything!
rofl Codi that's hilarious. He's your child! ;) Love you!
NO WAY!!!!! IIIII can't even get those little buggers open!!!!!! He is one sharp tack =).
Post a Comment