Monday, July 5, 2010

Partners in crime? Or every man for himself!!


There was once a special time of day,
when a certain mother used to say...
"It's time for your brother play time today!"
And upon those words, two sweet little boys,
would join each other for fun and joy.
They would sit and play, do puzzles, and read.
All while their mother took some time to breathe.

But Alas.... that time has come to an end. Yes, my brilliant plans have been THWARTED. THWARTED I tell you!
Why? Because a certain little nugget has learned to climb.
While walking down the hall I heard...
Blayne: "Up, up, up, up"
and then...
Xander: "Wow, Blayne. You a good climber."

After halting in my tracks and slowly turning around to process what I had just heard, I quickly ran into Xander's room to find Xander up on the top bunk, cheering his little brother on with great enthusiasm, while "mini me" excitedly took one step at a time saying "Up!" with each step. I nervously watched him reach the tip of his Mount Everest and took great joy in the sweet embrace that he and his brother shared to celebrate his great achievement. Then my heart sank a little as I realized that I could no longer allow them to simply play by themselves in Xander's room without supervision.
And for those of you saying...
"Just close the door so you won't be worried." You obviously don't realize how freakishly tall my little guys are, and how mechanically inclined they are. **Or in other words... He has learned to open doors.**

Enter sigh here, and realize how wonderful it is that I have two boys that are so loving, and supportive of one another. Don't I?
Which leads me to story number two....


The other morning while the boys were watching Sesame Street, I decided to go put away some laundry in my bedroom. As I came walking back to the front room the boys were no where to be seen, and I heard this coming from the kitchen...
"Hurry Blayne-ie, help clean up! Mommy be so mad when she sees this mess you make."
*Never, a good thing for a mom to hear.*
As I peaked around the wall my eyes focused on the large lake of water all over the kitchen floor, and poor little Xander on his hands and knees with a dish towel in each hand frantically trying to clean up the floor. The obvious culprit of the mess, Blayne, was standing to the side dancing to some music, with a water trail all along the side of his body- the result of inching on his tippy toes to reach the water button on the front of the fridge. Judging from the amount of water that was on the floor and on his head, I imagine he had held the button down for quite some time. As I stepped into view, Xander's eyes began to bulge and he quickly pointed towards Blayne and yelled "Blayne-ie do it!!"
Yes, that sweet little boy who was willing to get on his hands and knees to clean up a mess that he didn't make, gave up his little brother in a heart beat. Basically, those out there thinking Xander will be your scape goat... better find someone else to take your heat. He's so sweet however that he'd probably be more than willing to help you clean up your mess.

No comments: