Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thank heavens for "Papas"!

For my birthday a few weeks ago
(yep, sadly enough I can no longer say that I'm "30, flirty, and thriving")
my wonderful husband spoiled me with many fabulous gifts, and a weekend getaway to Branson, Missourri. My sweet in-laws drove up and joined us for the trip, treated us to some delightful dishes and a very exciting musical of Noah. It was a wonderful weekend and I'm so blessed to have such thoughtful and loving family and friends, REALLY... thank you everyone for all the birthday wishes and gifts, they were much appreciated.
While in Branson we decided to go swimming in the pool at the condo. I really enjoy swimming, getting in a swimsuit... not so much, but swimming has always been a delightful treat. However.... I happen to be the mother of two young boys who, to put it nicely, freak out every time a little bit of water touches their heads or faces. Yes, bath time is always filled with fun shrieks and thrashing. Ugh.
Needless to say, I was expecting much of the same bath time "enjoyment" while in the pool.
Sadly, my expectations were fulfilled.
Blayne did his signature whine and held on to whomever was holding him like he was trying to squeeze the life out of them. Xander really enjoys the water, but only if it stays a safe distance away from his head area.
Then a miracle named Papa Beck came into play. With some gentle and loving encouragement from Papa my little Xander began putting his face in the water to blow bubbles, practicing swimming strokes and kicks, and then (to my great surprise) ended up swimming from Papa all the way to the side of the pool all by himself! He would go underneath the water, kick his legs, move his arms, and then pull himself up onto the side of the pool. I was not only shocked but proud. This may seem insignificant to some but for me it was a BIG DEAL.
Blayne even got to the point where he was splashing the water with his hands and not whimpering every time a little got near his face (I think he was trying to impress a little girl playing near by, little flirt!).
Since our vacation, bath time has been significantly less horrifying and filled with much more smiles than tantrums. Blayne still hates getting his hair washed but the thrashing is down to a bare minimum while I wash it, and he is enjoying splashing more and more with each bath.
Xander is doing remarkably well. In fact, the day after we got home from our little vacation we were in the bath when Papa Kendell called to say hi. Xander got so excited and wanted to tell Papa all about his adventures in Branson, especially all about swimming with his other Papa. While telling my dad about his swimming fun... my wonderful, insightful dad answered with
"Xander, I am so proud of you for doing something that was so scary to you. How great of your Papa Beck to help you discover something so fun. You know, you can even do some of those things while taking your bath. You can lay on your back and let the water wet your head, and you can still blow bubbles from your mouth. Just make sure mommy or daddy is there to watch you." Upon hearing this Xander quickly decided to test Papa Kendells theory and laid on his back allowing the water to cover his hair. This was quickly followed with "Look Papa! Look! I do it!" To this day, laying down and relaxing in the tub is a must for my little man (much to Blaynes dismay, especially when Xanders legs and feet end up on top of him or in his 'space').
I am so grateful to have such wonderful, loving role models in our lives. As if my boys weren't lucky enough to have the best dad and friend in Zach, then we go and give them the best "Papas" anyone could ask for. I apologize to all for taking the two best "Papas" for ourselves, and that they chose to marry the two best "Nanas" around, call me selfish. I hope you all can make due with your semi-fabulous grandparents.




* "Mini-Zach" enjoying his bath time relaxation *

5 comments:

Zach and Codi said...

POBEDA!!!

The Rod's said...

That's an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Kelli Proctor said...

awww...that is the sweetest story of the day! I love it! Your dad is so awesome and it sounds like Zachs dad is equally as awesome! Lucky girl!

ponderer said...

Truth be told there was a time when I was afraid of water too, so I guess its a gene thing.

-Brycen

Garland's said...

That is awesome! Cole hated having water on his head too. But when he saw Izzie putting her head in the water he decided to do it too. I think it all started when they stayed with Giovanny. Because Giovanny puts his head under where as I would just dump water on their heads, while of course they would scream. So its getting better for us too. Now if only I could get Papa to teach Cole to swim too, that would be great. Miss ya!