Wednesday, January 26, 2011

ONLY 4?!?

Lately I've been questioning the actual age of my sweet little 4 year old. It just seems unreal to me that he can be so young and so incredibly smart and quick witted. Especially when it comes to matching wits with adults.
Example #1: When he was just 2 Zach's family was visiting for Christmas/Blayne's birth. There were treats galore and Xander definitely had plenty of people around willing to give him a treat with just one puppy dog look from his sweet big eyes. After handfuls had been consumed the mommy in me decided to step in and put the treats up on the kitchen counter. A few minutes went by and Xander made his way over to his Popa and asked him to hold him. He then proceeded to give Popa the biggest, sweetest, longest hug I had ever seen him give anyone. Then I heard a crinkle sound and realized that my little sweetheart was secretly sneaking more treats while hugging Popa. Brilliant.
Example #2: While in the car with my mother, at the end of a wonderful visit, she stopped at an ATM to get some cash. While there she asked if I needed any cash for the plane ride home to get some food/treats. I said that I was fine and thanked her for the thought. Suddenly from the back seat we heard this: "Nana... I need some moneys. Dollars." Wow.

Yesterday was no exception. As many of you know (especially if you read the last post) we are currently in the process of trying to potty train this little nugget:


It is going fabulously and without any difficulties whatsoever. He loves it and wants out of his diapers ASAP!! (*insert large amounts of sarcasm, and an exasperated sigh, here*) Okay, so maybe it's going so horribly that I've actually reverted to bribing him with "candy drops". **For those who are wondering what "candy drops" are... read the last post.**

The only problem with giving him "candy drops" was that Xander became upset and even told me I had hurt his feelings because he wasn't getting any. I explained to him the reasons why and he seemed to accept it, but when talking with my mom about it later she gave a great suggestion. "Why not give Xander some "candy drops"? He could be your teaching assistant and help show Blayne how to go potty on the toilet. Maybe seeing Xander do it, and get a reward would help encourage Blayne to do it as well. Besides, it would be an inexpensive solution." With that I began the next day with......

A POTTY TRAINING ASSISTANT!!!!

Xander was great! He was the perfect model of how to use the potty. He went #1, got 1 candy drop, and Blayne... absolutely refused. So we got into the tub and had a bath. While in the tub Xander asked me for "more candy drops please". I then explained to him that he only got "candy drops" when he was being my potty assistant and only 1 for going #1 and 2 for going #2. He said "Okay, understand.".
When we got out of the tub I asked Blayne if he would like to try going pee pee on the potty. I'm sure you can guess what his answer was. Xander then said "I'll go! Watch Blayne!" He did a tiny tinkle and was rewarded. I went on drying Blayne and explaining to him how he could get his own "candy drops". Then I heard another tinkle and a "See Blayne, it's easy!" he was rewarded once again. This happened one more time where there was a small tinkle followed by a reward and I began thinking to myself "Goodness, I need to cut back on Xander's drink consumption." Blayne did decide he would like to sit on the toilet but after 25 minutes of reading 4 stories, singing songs, and being his own personal cheering squad... he informed us he was done and proceeded to poop in his pull-ups only minutes later.
When nap time came around I again gave Blayne the opportunity to try to go pee pee on the potty, he "politely" refused and Xander quickly stepped up to the plate. It was after the second tiny tinkle that it finally dawned on me.......

I WAS BEING HUSTLED BY MY 4 YEAR OLD!!!!
I had informed him that going pee pee on the potty only gave him one "candy drop" and he had found a way to get numerous "candy drops" by just going #1 in little spurts at a time. I was so distracted and oblivious that it took me a few times to even catch on! I could hardly believe that he could be so smart and so manipulative when it occurred to me that he is "Mini Zach". I'm sure this is exactly the type of thing Zach would have done when he was Xander's age, especially if it meant getting more candy. It appears as though this "inexpensive solution" could actually end up bitting me in the behind one "candy drop" at a time.

3 comments:

Zach and Codi said...

Manipulation!!!????

HOW DARE YOU...

Its not manipulative when its just too easy!!!

Love ya!!! -Zach

Crystal said...

Sounds like he has his dad's sweet tooth! :-) Hope you have a good dental plan

Garland's said...

We do chocolate for going potty also. Worked for Cole, now he gets chocolate if he does everything by himself. Meaning wiping his own butt and putting his clothes back on. Tash is really good and Giovanny presses this button that makes a clapping sound for him. Much better than my chocolate!