Saturday, April 23, 2011

REALLY ARKANSAS?!?




So it's Lancome's free gift time which means... it's traveling time for me. I take time to go to each of the stores out here and help in any way I can by either doing makeovers, helping clients, or just making sure that the customers are aware of the great deal available. Lately however Arkansas has decided to make my travel time..... crazy weather time.

This week has been filled with exciting weather adventures while I'm away from home.

Tuesday night I was supposed to work at the Fayetteville Dillards but received a call from my boss saying that she was at the store and there were strong winds, hail, and the talk of possible tornado warnings. She suggested that I stay home for the night and not make my way out in the weather, I thankfully agreed.

On Thursday I began making the hour long trek to the Ft. Smith Dillards and as I began my trip the weather seemed fine and only slightly overcast. After only 15 min. however, I found myself in 60 mph winds, rain, and hail. At one point on the road there were 8 cars parked underneath an overpass waiting out the hail storm. I continued on, saying about 3-4 prayers in a row. Thankfully, the hail subsided and all I needed to worry about were the 2 semi trucks that so generously cut me off at different moments in the drive. *Yes, I used my horn with great force.* The weather finally calmed down by the time I reached the store. While helping a customer in the store, we heard a noise start up and she immediately jumped and turning to me said "Are those the tornado sirens?" Thankfully, we discovered it was just a maintenance worker vacuuming and she settled down. It seemed as though the storm had passed and as I began making the hour long trek back home I felt confident that all was over. Psych!! After about 20 min. of driving dark storm clouds covered the sky and I found myself in strong wind, pelting rain, thunder and lightening. I followed my routine from before of going 5-10 miles under the speed limit, staying in the right hand lane, and saying 3-4 prayers in a row. I arrived home safely and ready for bed. Too bad Baby girl decided she was too excited to settle down and let me sleep.

Last night was by far the best! I had looked at the weather report and only saw reports of thunderstorms with slight rain. I drove the 45 min. to the Rogers Dillards and only had some strong wind and light rain to deal with. I went inside and began helping customers and answering questions of the girl working at the counter. Suddenly I heard the Cosmetics Manager having a discussion on the telephone saying "Really? Are you serious? Where would be the safest places to take the customers? I'll wait for your call, and if needs be, make the announcement." I knew from the look on her face, and a few customers with IPhones, that this was not good news. Apparently there had been a touch down of a tornado spiral not too far away. There were spirals coming our direction that were touching down, lifting, then touching down again. Not too long afterwards she made the announcement that in 5 min. they would be locking down the steel doors and that all customers/employees needed to make their way to the lower level (our level) and take shelter in either the shoe stockrooms, or lingerie dressing rooms. We had a few people opt. to leave and take their chances on the road or elsewhere but the majority of us began packing ourselves away in the designated areas. We waited for about 45 min. until we were given the all clear that the storm had already passed over us and we were no longer in danger. I finished out my shift and headed back home in weather slightly stronger than the weather I had driven through earlier that night.

I can't wait to see what kind of weather will be awaiting me tonight as I head off to work at the Fayetteville Dillards!! Considering the fact that we're already having a pretty nice thunder, lightening, and rain storm I'm sure the weather won't disappoint later this evening. I guess that is what we get for living in areas nicknamed "Tornado Alley", excitement at every turn of the weather! At least our poor yard/flowers are getting some much needed moisture!- Yeah, I don't water, "I'm going green",or more accurately.... yellow.

The one thing I have noticed with each weather adventure is the fact that our little girl either really likes the exciting weather, or hates it. Either way, whenever I've been driving or huddled in a lingerie dressing room, she is rolling, kicking, and somersaulting like crazy. And let me tell you.... this girl can kick! Sometimes I wonder if she's going to kick a hole straight through me, and make a new escape route for herself. Apparently, she's going to be a handful, but we can't wait to meet her. And I can't wait for this pregnancy to be over.... IT'S TAKING FOREVER!!!

P.S. If you're wondering where all of the cute pictures of our little ones have been lately, we're having problems with importing our images from our camera. I think it's our USB cable. Oh technology... how I love/hate thee.

1 comment:

The Wright Fam said...

Just know, you always have a tornado buddy in me :) "Are you in your closet???" (thanks for being my friend eventhough I am such a nerd!)