Thursday, May 17, 2012

In memory of a "GREAT" Grandma




My Grandma was a wonderful, loving woman who always created special memories with her grandchildren and great grandchildren. Growing up with Grandma Kendell meant love pats, treat bags at birthdays ( I.E: She would give each grandchild a treat bag with money and candy at every birthday party so no one would feel bad that it wasn't their birthday. Needless to say... we all loved when it was not just our birthday but each other's birthday as well.), but most importantly...

It meant the goodnight lullaby of "A Bushel and a Peck".
She may not have sung, or even have known all the correct words, but the added humming and extra "Doodle oodle doos" just made it that more special.

The other night as I was getting the kids ready for bed I was tickling them and telling them how much I loved them *in sing-song voice, I'll admit it* when suddenly Blayne started to sing "A Bushel and a Peck". I was a little shocked considering that I had really only sung the song a few times here and there, and had never thought they had even heard me or were listening.

As I sat listening to his sweet version of the song I couldn't help but think of my Grandma and how happy it would make her to hear his version of her goodnight song. When he finished I took the time to tell the kids how much I loved the song and why. I told them of special sleepovers at my grandparents house and how each night before bed my Grandma would read me stories and sing me that song. I told them that every time I hear the song it reminds me of special times with my Grandma and makes me happy. But most importantly it reminds me of the selfless love of my Grandmother. She was a kind, and thoughtful woman who was always on her feet trying to do something for someone else. When I finished Xander asked me if she was "one of the old Nanas who died" and "who's mommy was she".   I explained that she was one of the Nanas who was in heaven and that she was Papa Kendell's mommy. His reply was "Oh, I bet he misses his mommy. I think he loved her." I assured him that he did and thanked him for being so thoughtful.
Then this afternoon when I was getting them ready for their naps Blayne brought me the video camera and said "Can we sing the song for Papa?" Xander jumped in with "Ooh! That a great idea Blayne! Then he can listen to it and think of his Mommy!"

 So Papa (and everyone else in the family) this song is for you....



Grandma Kendell, this one is for you......


Love you Grandma, thanks for all the wonderful memories.



1 comment:

Amara Doxey said...

Oh my--I remember Grandma Kendall's version of that song! In fact, I sing it to my kids sometimes, and I don't know all the words either, so I think of her and you. So sweet Codilyn.