Zach and I were both blessed to have some pretty great dad's of our own, who truly bless our lives. Thankfully my children are lucky to have that same blessing in their lives since they have Zach as their dad.
Zach is funny, creative, loving, hard working, and really good at "bringing home the bacon"!
The kids absolutely ADORE him and love every minute they get to spend with him.
He's also a wonderful example,
and has really cool friends (*mainly me*).
So when it came time to get ready to celebrate this special guy I decided to read the kids this book that explains Father's Day and what it's all about. In one part of the book they talked about stepdads and the fact that some children have no dad. Blayne stopped me mid-sentence and asked...
"Mommy, what a stepdad?".
I responded with...
"Well, if Mommy and Daddy were no longer married and Mommy married another man he would be called your stepdad."
I guess I should have made the explanation more broad than personal because Blayne took it a little hard. He began crying and pleading with me "Please Mommy! Don't marry another Daddy! We love our Daddy!"
Xander then jumped in and said "Blayne, she wouldn't do that. Our Daddy is the best Daddy ever."
I quickly agreed with Xander and reassured Blayne that I loved Daddy and we would always be together.
Then later that day, while at the store, we ran into some people from the ward and as we were talking she asked the boys if they were excited for Father's day. Xander replied "Yes because my mommy is still married to my daddy." Worried at the confusion that statement might cause I quickly explained the stepdad issue that arose earlier that day and we had quite a good laugh.
The next day we had our good friends the McMurrys over for dinner and Xander asked if he could say the prayer. Mid-prayer Xander made this statement....
"And please bless that this family won't break apart."
Needless to say, when the prayer concluded the looks on our friend's faces were a mix of confusion and mild worry. I once again explained the stepdad fiasco from the day before, we all had a good laugh, and I'm sure our friends were relieved to realize that they weren't invited over to hear some horrible news.
We are so grateful for "the BEST daddy ever" and LOVE HIM WITH ALL OUR HEARTS!
LOVE YOU DADDY!!! Thanks for all you do for us and for blessing our lives.
All our love,
Mommy and the nuggets


2 comments:
this is the best father's day tribute I have EVER read! HILARIOUS! I had to call Nate over and read it to him, but it took about 5 minutes because we were both laughing so hard. Seriously, amazing. I'm loving that your kids are traumatized because of such a sweet holiday as father's day.
Some of the things I get back from school that my kids have said. scary. What sweet kids!
Post a Comment