Don't let this adorably, sweet face fool you.
He is out to get me.
Yes, my 2 year old is out to destroy me and all the energy and patience I have stored in this body.
You would think that something so little and so cute wouldn't have the power or knowledge to destroy a grown woman, but he does.
How does he do it?
In the form of..... POTTY TRAINING.
(*See picture above, and notice that he is not wearing pants*)
When this sweetheart turned 20 months I decided I would do what I did with Xander and start doing things to help him get more comfortable and acquainted with the potty. For Xander, it worked like a charm. His interest in the potty grew, and by the time he was 2 and we began potty training he was trained both day and night in a week. I'm not going to give myself a lot of credit in this achievement because, honestly, the kid basically trained himself. Even as a baby he never even peed in his diaper while sleeping through the night.
Blayne however... has been the total opposite.
Maybe he just wants to be different from his brother, maybe he wants attention, or maybe he just really loves seeing the look of bewilderment and torture come across my face. Whatever it is.... he is currently winning.
It amazes me how long the kid can hold any #1 or #2 while sitting on the toilet (at intervals of 30 min.) only to let everything go seconds after I place a pull-up on the child. That is of course if I can even get the child to put on a pull-up. More often than not just the idea of getting a pull-up on causes cries of "NO! NO! Not my diaper! Need diaper!"
Today was by far, his crowning moment.....
He has been showing large interest in wearing underwear, especially Xander's Go Diego underwear. My sister came up with the great idea to let him wear a pair but place a pull-up on top. This way, he gets to wear the underwear and get used to them, while also getting used to the feeling of what happens when he relieves himself in them. The pull-up on top keeps me from having to clean up nasty accidents off of the floor and carpets. BRILLIANT!!
So today we decided to give it a try!
We had already made a handful of bathroom trips without any success, but also without any accidents. While talking on the phone with my parents and discussing the latest "plan of potty action" I mistakingly made this comment out loud...
"Things are going well so far but just watch him go poop in the underwear and not even notice or care. That will be so fun for me, especially the clean up."
My ever intelligent mom responded with "Count on it."
*I mean really?!?! Will I never learn?!? Saying things like that aloud is basically a DOUBLE DARE to young children to do that exact thing.*
I ended my conversation with my parents with this statement "Well, I'd better go. It's been almost 30 min. and I want to keep this no accidents thing going." *Ugh... such a moron.*
As I approached Blayne and said it was potty time again he pulled his hand free, hid himself under a chair, and started making a face that I know all too well. I frantically grabbed his little legs, pulled him out from under the chair, and made a run for the bathroom.
You can guess what awaited me...
Yep, a nice big smudge of #2 all over poor Diego. I still stripped him and made him finish the business on the potty. After a good 10 min. wait to make sure everything was all out... he was cleaned, the pull-up was placed back on, and he was rewarded with a "candy drop" ( an M&M for those who don't speak Blayne) for "going poo poo on the potty". Yes, that was a bribe. I know.
The chaos didn't end there however because sweet little Xander then came up to me with tears in his eyes informing me that I had hurt his feelings because he didn't get a "candy drop". The next 5 min. was spent not only explaining to Xander why Blayne was getting "candy drops" but also trying not to gag while I washed Diego out in the toilet.
*For those concerned with the well being of my little Xander you'll be happy to know that he too was given a "candy drop"*
*Really... could you say no to this face? I didn't think so.*
I placed Diego in the washer, scrubbed my hands clean 3 times and turned around to see a faded picture on the front of Blayne's pull-up. Yep, after sitting on the toilet for a good 10 min. my child had peed in the pull-up only seconds after getting them placed on his body.
GRRR... ARGGG!!! I do not want two children in diapers!!!
I know I still have a few months with this pregnancy, but at this point I can see Blayne putting me through YEARS of Potty Training "Bliss". Such a tease. I will still continue on with this seemingly pointless crusade, but to be honest..... the white flag is looking really good, and is within arms reach.
4 comments:
Don't give up! It will only be harder to potty train him with a baby(I know I made that mistake). I'd have to say my number two loved the attention she got with potty training, I think she took a long time learning on purpose. She made me sit in the bathroom with her and read her books while she sat on the potty.
good luck my friend. at least he is adorable!
Good for you for even attempting potty training! I'm all about just waiting until my kids are ready, unfortunately, that means that when the twins were born I had three in diapers, and when the next baby comes, it will probably be three again! I dread potty training! Someday, we'll look back at these days and laugh, but now it's not so funny! Good luck!! If you find some magic trick, please pass it along :)
Cute kids!
Nice blog as well.
Washington Fishing Charter | Windows 7
Post a Comment